Lord Ganesha, son of Lord Shiva and Goddess Parvati is known as the symbol of opulence, intelligent and good luck. Ganesh Chaturthi is considered to be one of the most auspicious Hindu festival in India. It is an 11-day festival celebrated with utmost devotion and dedication by the devotees. In the Hindu Calendar, there are two Chaturthi Tithis namely Vinayaka Chaturthi and Sankashti Chaturthi in each lunar month. Vinayaka Chaturthi falls after the new moon day or Amavasya during the Shukla Paksha and Sankashti Chaturthi falls after the full moon day or Purnima during Krishna Paksha.
Know ‘Panchang’, ‘Aaj Ka Panchang’ and ‘Today’s Panchang’ on mPanchang.
Apart from India, Ganesh Chaturthi is celebrated in foreign lands like Mauritius, Thailand, Nepal, China, US, and the UK as well. Idols of Lord Ganesha are brought home by the devotees and worshiped for a span of 3 days, 5 days, 11 days, according to the tradition followed by them. Lord Ganpati is very much fond of Modak, 21 Modaks are served on a plate in front of the Lord’s idol.
There are 4 most important traditions of this festival, which are followed, such as:
- PRANA PRATISHTHA – The procedure of infusing the deity into an idol or murti.
- SHODASHOPACHARA – It is a form of paying tribute to Lord Ganesha in 16 different forms.
- UTTAR PUJA – After the infusion, a puja is followed by shifting the idol.
- GANPATI VISARJAN – On the final day, immersion of the Lord’s idol in the water is performed which is known as Ganpati Visarjan.
Ganesh Chaturthi falls in the month of Bhadrapada. The Lord is worshiped by the devotees by following a particular puja procedure / puja vidhi. The Puja procedure for Ganesha Chaturthi is mentioned below:
- Firstly, the whole house is cleaned and washed, then the devotees take a bath.
- Then, the idol of Lord Ganesha is placed on a clean cloth.
- The prayings are offered to the Lord and mantras are recited.
- The aarti is performed and diya (a small lamp) is lit.
- Some people even perform the Shodashopachara to pay tribute to the Lord in 16 forms.
- 21 blades of Druva Grass and red flowers are offered to the Lord.
- Tilak is applied using red sandalwood paste.
- Now, a coconut is broken into pieces and each of the piece is placed at both the sides of the idol.
- Lord Ganesha is worshiped for 10 days depending on the tradition followed in the family.
- On the final day / 11th day, the idol is taken through the streets while dancing and singing “Ganpati Bappa Morya, Pudhchya Varshi Laukariya” and then the idol is immersed in the waters.
These are the mantras which should be recited while offering prayers to Lord Ganpati.
GANESH CHATURTHI AARTI
“Shendur lal chadhayo achchha gajmukhko, dondil lal biraje sut gauriharko Hath liye gudladdu sai survarko, mahima kahe na jay lagat hoo padko.Jai jai shri ganraj vidhyasukhdata, dhanya tumara darshan mera man ramata Ashto siddhi dasi sankatko bairi, vignavinashan mangal murat adhikari Koti surajprakash aisi chhabi teri, gandasthala madmastak jhoole shashihari.Jai jai shri ganraj vidhyasukhdata, dhanya tumara darshan mera man ramata Bhavbhagat se koi sharanagat ave, santat santat sabhi bharpur pave Aise tum maharaj moko ati bhave, gosavinandan nishidin gun gave.Jai jai shri ganraj vidhyasukhdata, dhanya tumara darshan mera man ramata.”
know vinayaka chaturthi vrat dates and puja timings of year 2017
Visit Our Website: http://www.mpanchang.com/